Many couples, friends and families are opting for local vacation destinations. Spending a long weekend relaxing and exploring a nearby destination is convenient. You can spend fewer hours planning, enjoy an easily-accessible location and take minimal time away from the office.
Make the most of weekend getaways with elements that make it feel like you’ve traveled around the world, instead of just a few hours down the road.
Upgrade Your Accommodations
A weekend trip means spending just one or two nights in a hotel. Make the most your mini vacation with a luxury hotel filled with amenities that make it feel like you’ve travelled much further. Splurge on a unique setting where you can relax or high end downtown location near local attractions.
Experience New Cuisine
A local destination can be filled with new experiences, including exotic cuisine. Find a trending restaurant, coffee shop or dessert café filled with unfamiliar menu items for a unique meal close to home.
Choose Lesser Known Attractions
Avoid ultra-popular tourist attractions during your weekend getaway to make the most of the time you have. Spending hours standing in long lines is not the best use of your limited vacation trip. Instead, look for less popular (but still fun and interesting!) activities in your destination location.
Explore on Foot
There’s no better way to get to know a neighborhood in a few hours than wandering through its homes and shops. Use your first morning in town to walk to brunch. Afterward, visit local shops nearby, scope out dinner venues and enjoy a bit of fresh air before heading to a museum or other attraction for the afternoon.
5 Weekend Trip Ideas
- Atlanta – Southern hospitality pairs well with big city amenities and attractions in Atlanta. Shopping, parks, high end food and museums make ATL a great long weekend getaway.
- Austin – The capitol city of Texas is famously “weird,” but it’s also filled with natural swimming holes, great barbeque, varied nightlife, and lots and lots of music.
- Chicago – Spend a long weekend in Chicago and you’ll have enough time to eat deep dish pizza, visit Millennium Park (the one with “The Bean”) and take in a Cubs game under the lights.
- Denver – The Mile High City is home to the 16th Street Mall, a herd of buffalo, Red Rocks Park & Amphitheatre, Larimer Square and much more.
- Philadelphia – Take in hundreds of years of history in Philadelphia, beginning with Elfreth’s Alley and the Liberty Bell. Enjoy bike trails and hearty restaurants to round out your weekend getaway.