Putting in hours on the road, whether you’re a professional driver or serve a region that’s not easily accessible by plane, can be taxing. Lessen the stress of driving between meetings, conferences, hotels and home with these road warrior travel tips.
- Install a cell phone car cradle to keep your device secure in a place where you can see the GPS instructions. There are options that can be easily removed and re-installed, which are perfect for road warriors who rely on rental vehicles.
- Double check that you have a portable charger in your car. While this tip may seem obvious or self-explanatory, this is an oft-forgotten item. Whether you use a battery backup or a charger that draws power from your car is up to you.
- Invest in a cell phone signal booster if you regularly drive through areas with limited reception. Better reception helps you make the most of your time on the road. This is a great time to make business calls, talk to family and listen to podcasts.
- Keep an atlas or printed directions to your destination in your car. Even with a signal booster, you may not always be able to rely on the GPS for your next turn.
- Stock an emergency kit with items for both you and your car. This is especially important in areas with extreme weather. Make sure your jumper cables, flashlight, shovel, washer fluid and other important items are well-stocked and in working condition. To keep yourself comfortable in an emergency, include a first aid kit, water, snacks and blankets.
- Transfer your EZPass from your primary vehicle to the one you travel in for business. Most toll roads will accept this method of payment. Keep change and small bills in your car for those that do not.
- Download music, audiobooks and podcasts so that you can listen without relying on a strong cell phone signal.