Traveling with your large family poses a unique set of challenges. Finding affordable accommodations, requiring more tickets than the “family pack” deal on admission to parks and museums, and keeping both toddlers and teens occupied are just the beginning.
For a vacation every member of your big family loves, use these ideas and tips:
- Stay close to home. Not every family vacation needs to be to a distant, exotic location. A hotel just a few hours from home with a good deal is the perfect spot for a big family vacation. A hotel pool, new (to your kids) museum and fun restaurant are more than enough to keep everyone happy.
- Find a vacation rental. Instead of booking two or more hotel rooms, look into rental homes in your destination. For the same price as a hotel, everyone will get their own bed. You’ll also have access to a full kitchen, so you can spend some nights cooking meals you already know your family likes.
- Consider an all-inclusive. Both all-inclusive resorts and cruises can make planning easy. Activities, meals and even excursions are included. There are plenty of off-season savings and early booking discounts available.
- Choose a city. If your big family has big ideas about what they want to do on vacation, a city might be your best bet. There are plenty of activities that appeal to lots of different interests and ages. Tons of food options, parks, museums and other activities won’t be hard to find.
- Rent what you need. If a big purchase is keeping you from a large family vacation, look into renting what you need. A high-end RV can make camping a comfortable option. A large vehicle makes road trips way more fun.
- Let kids help plan the trip. One way guaranteed to make your big family vacation a success is to let kids find a few activities they are interested in visiting. This gets each and every family member excited about the vacation.